Monday, March 26, 2012

Introduction

Hi there,
I'm Laura. I'm 16 as of late February. I have a passion for sharks (as you can see).
They are such magnificent creatures. I'd like all you bloggers out there to help me make this blog a big deal and help me spread the word about saving sharks. Everyone tells me one person can't make a difference, one person can't make a change. My argument is one may not be able to do it alone, but they can start the change. So help me save the sharks. Leave me comments, links, anything that you think may help me to save them. I'll be posting as often as I can about sharks so you can decide if you want to help or not. I'm not much of a writer so this will be my challenge. My question to all you bloggers or blog readers is "Can WE be the change?"
If you look at the Shark Research Committee (http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/conservation.htm) link above, you'll read that "70-100 million sharks are killed annually..."
If you look at statistics of sharks attacks and compare them to the attacks humans make on sharks for their "prized fins," you'd see that we outnumber them so greatly, that we're going to offset the natural balance of things. By killing all these sharks, the marine ecosystem is being offset to the point where it can't be changed back because sharks reproduce very slowly. They have few pups in their litter and some get killed by their own siblings or parents right after they're born. Some are born alive, some in eggs. Plus, with the pollution of our oceans, so many of our marine animals are become deformed. Some sharks can stomach eating these poisonous and deformed fish, but other cannot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment